20130601

Frontiers: A Short History of the American WestFrontiers: A Short History of the American West by Robert V. Hine

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


As a westerner I knew nuggets and boulders of the history of the "West" but this book does the best job of any I've read in laying it all out and showing how it is connected. The two authors show how "The West" and Frontier are synonyms in America's lexicon and how the history of this nation is really one of this constantly moving boundary.
If you want to believe in the idealistic West where Indians (Native Americans) are savages and Whites are civilized this book is NOT for you, it is a refreshing unflinching history of America - warts, scars and all.
For anyone who wants to understand the central cord of American history I highly recommend this book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment